Friday, June 22, 2012

Day 20/21 West Yellowstone, Montana

 The last two days are days I will never forget for the rest of my life. When we woke up yesterday, we had a radio interview to do before getting on the road.  Since my van partner is the Public Relations coordinator, it was my van that went to the interview and we took two cyclists with us.  While I was there, the main reason for me being there was to take pictures, so I was just standing off to the side capturing the moment.  After the first part of the interview and a couple songs, the guy started talking and then said, “well Scott, you haven’t said much so why don’t you come up to the mic.”  So the DJ and I had a conversation about what it is we are doing and talked about Peyton Manning and all of that.  What is really cool is that when I was on the road, my dad texted me saying that my brother, Keith, was getting interviewed on ESPN Radio about the State Championship.  It is not everyday that a family can say two sons were on the radio on the same day in different parts of the country.  We rode into West Yellowstone and had plenty of time to explore.  We went around the town and went to an IMAX film about the park, which was really cool.  After that, we had time to explore on our own, and at night we found a live band at a local bar playing country music so some of us went to check that out.

We woke up at 7:00 am this morning to get a head start on all of the park traffic that we expected to encounter.  There were many different groups of us that split up because there were so many things to do and see that people wanted to do variations.  One group went on a hike that would take them atop a mountain at over 10,000 feet in elevation.  It was an eight mile round trip hike, so me and some other guys did not feel up to it.  The first thing we did was go see Old Faithful, the famous geyser that shoots water up about every 90 minutes.  It is amazing to think that a volcano big enough to cover the entire earth if it erupts was underneath us at that moment.  After the geyser was done, we drove the hour and fifteen minutes to another part of the park to see the waterfalls.  We walked down Uncle Tom’s trail, which is a 300-iron step trail to the bottom of the waterfall.  Going back up those steps was a piece of cake (sarcastic voice).  We drove to the other side of the waterfall to get a different point of view, and to see how much drop was in the trail we had just done was amazing. As we drove around the park all day, we saw a combination of bison, fox, deer, moose, and cattle.  I was about ten feet from bison, which was extremely dangerous but so cool.  They say you should not be within 25 YARDS of bison, but we tend to break the barriers every once in awhile in our lifetime.  I made sure that I was back in time tonight to get my computer and find a wireless spot to watch my brother and the Rebels play for the State Championship.  Unfortunately, they ran into an extremely good team and pitcher and lost 1-0.  They were definitely capable of winning and should be satisfied to the fullest with their performance.  If you ever have the chance to make a trip to Montana and Yellowstone Park, do not pass it up.  I swear it will be worth it.




No comments:

Post a Comment