Saturday, June 16, 2012

Day 18 Butte, Montana

 I will not go too much into the ride today except for the fact that it was extremely beautiful.  We got our first taste of the Rocky Mountains as we could see them off in the distance.  From what we could see already, I am really looking forward to being in them.  It was a little chilly and we were racing a rainstorm all day, but for the first time in a long time, we can say we did not get one drop on us.

The friendship visit tonight was with an organization called DSW (not sure what it stands for).  We had an amazing dinner of fried chicken, potatoes, and pasta.  That was just the first thirty minutes we were there, though.  After everyone was done eating, we cleared all the tables and chairs and prepared the room for the best event we have had so far.  DANCE PARTY! A local band comes in every year for this particular friendship visit and plays a mini concert for free.  It was an absolute blast.  During dinner, I think I had about ten people make me promise I would dance with them, and you better believe they were the ten most fun dance partners I have ever had.  One girl had us turn each other so much it was making me dizzy, but every time we did it, she acted like it was the first time she had ever done it and started jumping up and down clapping with the biggest smile on her face.  There was another man who was probably the most hyper person I have ever seen.  He was running around jumping on people, giving chest bumps, shaking his butt at people, and giving the hardest high fives you could imagine.  It was so awesome to see all the smiling faces and people laughing and having a good time dancing to the music.  Oh yeah, and a side note – my friend, Hugo, and I had a guy around thirty or a little older with autism name us every single president of the United States, in order, including their hometown.  What was more amazing was he did it in about two minutes.  It was possibly the most amazing thing I have ever witnessed.  It truly shows that if people with disabilities set their mind to do something or achieve something, they will not stop until they have reached their goal.  This man’s goal was obviously to know more about the history of the presidents than any other person, and yes he definitely succeeded. 
I know this next part is not about my trip, but I felt obligated to share.  Growing up, we all have heroes – sports figures, family members, teachers, servicemen, whoever.  Aside from my parents, there is one person who sticks out from every other man or woman on this planet as my hero: my brother, Keith (sorry Amy and Katie, have to keep it on the male side). If you have not heard, the Roncalli Rebel’s baseball team is going to the Indiana 4A state championship this weekend and my brother is the coach.  It is truly a tremendous feat to make it to the 4A state game (it is the biggest class in Indiana sports), and it is even greater of an accomplishment to do it in your first year in the class as the smallest school.  I distinctly remember around this time last year watching the Lady Rebel softball team win the state championship, and while we were watching them celebrate, Keith turned to me and said, “I want one.”  That was it.  One short phrase that had such force and motive.  In my life, I have learned that my brother is one of the most determined people I know.  Once he sets his mind on something, he will get it.  While he was growing up playing baseball, he listened to every little detail his team was coached on because he knew one day he would be coaching and required to know a lot about every position (I remember him telling that to me and my dad a long time ago).  He also had a goal of coaching Roncalli.  Well look where he is now: coaching baseball, coaching Roncalli, and the opportunity to get what he said he wanted this time last year is staring him right in the face.  I know he says we are very different in that we have gone down different paths in life, but I do not think he could be more wrong.  Every little decision I have made in life has been based on what I have learned from him, especially to go on this trip.  I think it is awesome that he is coaching in the community where he grew up, and when I saw the opportunity to help out in many communities, I knew I could not say no.  Awhile back, he explained to me that people often think of little brothers living in the shadows of their big brothers and that I came no where near his shadow.  Well this is because his shadow is too great for me to be in.  He is living his dream and I could not be happier for him.  Iggy, if you are reading this, go out and get your ultimate dream. I’ll be watching on my computer in Yellowstone, Montana and cheering harder than anyone in attendance.  I wish I could be there, man.  I love you. 



No comments:

Post a Comment